May 4, 2005

I should have never started...

I went to a baby shower last weekend. About 2 years ago, I decided to make a card by hand. It turned out really cute. The mother-to-be doesn't remember what my gift was, but she still talks about my card. Everyone raved about my hand-made baby card. So, I made another one for the next shower. And another, and another, and another. Then it got to the point that they would pass the hand-made card around WITH the gift because everyone wanted to see "what Kim made". I run in a small, but fertile, group so it seemed like the same people were at every shower.


Then I made a fatal mistake. I was in a hurry one day and I pulled a card out of my card box - a regular, old, printed card - wrote my congratulatory note, signed my name and headed to the shower. When it came time to open my gift, the mother-to-be grabbed my card and said, "I want to see this first", ripped open the envelope and then just stared in disbelief. You'd have thought I had just run over her puppy. She read the card, set it down on the floor and opened the gift - said a polite, "Thanks, Kim" and moved on. Oooops. Apparently, I had committed some sin - perhaps she thought I didn't like her - whatever it was, I could tell I had done something very bad...


I went to visit her when the baby was born. I took her some tulips with a hand-made tag attached. Somehow, that made it all right again.


It's very weird. I mean, it's not like I make unbelievable cards. My last one, to my sister in law, was some paper, a Second Avenue Die cut and some tiles - no magic involved. But, now I have trapped myself into the world of card-making - which is fine, except now I don't have time to scrap all those photos...



No comments: