Jul 19, 2006

Scrap Mobile


The ice cream truck seems to hit my street about dinner time every night. It usually arrives JUST BEFORE we are ready to eat. My kids can hear that music a mile away and over any other noise going on in the house. I tell Mark that they have tuned the music to be within the hearing range of children but out of the hearing range of adults. They hear the music before I do. The minute they do, they go screaming through the house, "THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!" They immediately want money and start negotiating with me about how they will pay me back and wait until AFTER dinner to eat it. Mark usually gives in...

The thing about the ice cream truck is that you can always count on it to have something cool. Instead of the boring popsicles I have in my freezer, you can get a Rocket Pop (about a foot long and in bright colors), a Choco Taco, or ice cream in the shape of Mickey Mouse. You don't find the stuff that you can get just anywhere. It's always special and different.

So, in my "fantasy world", there is something called a Scrap Mobile. How would you react if you heard to music of the Scrap Mobile in your neighborhood? I envision women dropping their spatulas and running into the street, screaming and waving their credit card in the air to get it to stop. It would have the FRESHEST products - all new each month. You could count on finding products in the Scrap Mobile that you couldn't find just anywhere. When it showed up, you dropped everything!

After spending last weekend in tiny Mountain View, Wyoming, I sometimes wonder if there isn't a market out there for something like I fantasize about. Mountain View has a population of like a thousand people. It is surrounded by a couple of smaller towns and a good 35 miles from the nearest city (Evanston). There are a lot of LDS (hard-core scrappers) moms in town and the only place to get supplies is a small craft store that has a very small selection. What if the Scrap Mobile came into town twice a month and parked in the local grocery store parking lot for a few hours? Would scrappers drop everything and run? Would they flock to a quarterly class/crop that was held at the local community center? There are SO MANY towns like this across America - and, each one of them has scrappers who perhaps don't buy enough to support a store in their area, but still want to have access to products.

If you can sell ice cream from a truck, why not scrapbook supplies??? Food for thought...

Stay cool!

4 comments:

Lilli in Vancouver said...

That's hilarious! I think I'll have this image in my head all day, of women running into the street, screaming "The scrapbook truck in coming!"

Thanks for the giggle :)

Jane H said...

If you decide to do this bring it to South Eastern Ohio you will have one lady that comes running with credit card at the ready :)

Sandra @ The Memory Workshop said...

Kim, you're a genius!! (but I knew that already) DH wants an excuse to buy an enclosed car hauling trailer...of course, he'd never get to use it...

What kind of music would I play from the speakers?

Kim said...

Oh, I see I'm on to something! - LOL!